If you can read this, you are accessing bitboxer.de on my new virtual server. Yeay!
I moved to Host Europe in 2010 and was kinda okay with it. The server was fast enough, the service was okayish and everything worked. What I really hated was the administration part of it. Plesk is a pain in the ass to use. Totally cluttered and unintuitive. And the Host Europe Admin System (aka Kiss) is nothing better.
A few weeks ago I heard about a hosting provider a few friends of mine are using. At first I was kinda astonished that someone could talk with so much passion about a hosting provider. Usually that's nothing to get passioned about. Cluttered Interfaces, okayish support...why should I get in love with something like that? But than I tried it for myself.
Uberspace is different. I fell in love in the first few minutes I tried it. They show how webhosting should be done.
- Easy interface
- Create new accounts in seconds
- A complete ssh interface with everything that is important to me preconfigured. Starting from htop to Midnight Commander everything was there.
- Good performance (at least on the server I am running this on )
- Adding a new Mail Address is just one entry in the .qmail away
- They are open about the used tech
- The wiki has tons of easy to understand articles
- Great support. Usually they answer within a really short time. Even on sundays. And the best thing about that: the answer is not a robot mail or from a sales guy.
- No strange artificial limits (e.g. as many databases as I need) as long as my quota of 10 gigabyte hard disc is not reached
And now one of the best parts: the pricing. It's up to you. The minimum price is 1€ per uberspace per month. It's advised that you pay around 5-10€. I have decided to pay 16€ for the service. And it's worth every penny of it. Why 16€? That was the price I payed at Host Europe . After moving a few more domains to uberspace, I will increase that even more. If you like something, you should show it.
You should give them a try. The first 30 days are free!
Some tech facts:
- 10 gigabytes of space per uberspace
- Minimum of 1€ per uberspace per month, 1,50€ per uberspace with a domain (+ 5€ service charge for registering the domain). You also can register the domain somewhere else and connect that one to your uberspace for free
- 100 gigabytes of traffic per month per uberspace
- unlimited mysql databases (the disc quota is used to limit this), they are thinking on how to implement PostgreSQL
- IPs in the logfiles are anonymized. They do everything they can to reduce the amount of data they have. They even don't have my adress and never asked for it.
- Rails and node.js supported
If you have more questions about Uberspace just ask them .